East Coast 'Matakana' Wine Tasting Day Tour from Auckland
Lunch is open menu, main course, with vegetarian & gluten free options, enjoyed in a beautiful vineyard restaurant overlooking the vines, small lake and sculptures (included).
On our tours we prefer not to always visit the same wineries, after all we don't all like the same wine! So we do our best to use our nearly 20 years of experience to select the wineries that are available on the day to best suit your tastes and interests.
Vineyards in the Matakana wine country are producing superb wines from grapes grown exclusively on their own estates and are slightly biased towards producing red wines, but also have some great and unusual whites.
You could experience the only winery in NZ growing & making exclusively 'Italian' reds Sangiovese & Dolcetto and using the ancient terracotta Amphora winemaking method. A Matakana winery was awarded Best NZ Merlot, beating all the favourites from Hawkes Bay! There are some wonderful Cab’ Sav’/Merlot/Malbec/Cab’ Franc blends to try as well as Syrah (Shiraz), Montepulciano, Tannat and one locally grown Pinot Noir.
Pinot Gris and Chardonnay are two local white specialities along with Viognier and sometimes the unusual Flora and some excellent dry Rose's too. Sparkling wine and 'Port' are sometimes available. Chat to the winemakers and find out some of their secrets.
We return you to your accommodation at around 5.00pm...
Please confirm your pick up point
- Auckland Intl Airport, Auckland Central, Auckland New Zealand
- Queens Wharf and Princess Wharf
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Minimum drinking age is 18 years
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Dress code is smart casual
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- A maximum of 9 people per booking
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.View Less
We were picked up at the cruise ship dock, and whisked out of town for a 6 hour vineyard tour. Driver/guide Sanjay Shah was excellent, kept us on time to each stop and was flexible about our preferences. The company (just one other couple) was fun and lunch for everyone at the beautiful Brick Bay Winery was perfection. Sanjay dropped us at the airport for our late flight back and I felt I was saying goodbye to a friend. Highly recommend.